Why ISO 27001 matters
ISO 27001 is the leading international standard focused on information security. It has been published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO), in collaboration with the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). ISO 27001 has been developed to help organizations of all sizes and industries protect their information in a systematic and cost-effective way by introducing an Information Security Management System (ISMS). Being an international standard, ISO 27001 is easily recognized all over the world, increasing business opportunities for organizations and professionals.
In addition to the necessary know-how to protect their most valuable information, ISO 27001 offers companies an opportunity to prove to their customers and partners that they are capable of protecting their data. An Information Security Management System (ISMS) is a set of rules that a company must establish to:
- Identify stakeholders and their expectations of the company in the field of information security.
- Identify the risks there are for the information.
- Define control measures and other mitigation methods to meet identified expectations.
- Set clear goals for what to achieve with information security.
- Implement all controls and other risk treatment methods.
- Continuously measure whether the implemented controls perform as expected.
- Make continuous improvement to make the entire ISMS work better.
There are 4 essential benefits that a company can achieve with the implementation of this information security standard:
- Meeting legal requirements: there is an increasing number of laws, regulations and contractual requirements related to information security, and the good news is that most of them can be resolved by implementing ISO 27001 – this standard gives you the perfect methodology to meet them all of them.
- Gain competitive advantage: if your company gets certified and your competitors don’t, you may have an advantage over customers who are sensitive to keeping their information safe.
- Lower costs: the main philosophy of ISO 27001 is to prevent security incidents – and every incident, large or small, costs money. So, by preventing them your company will save a lot of money.
- Better organization: usually fast-growing companies don’t have the time to stop and define their processes and procedures – as a result, employees often don’t know what to do, when or by whom. The implementation of ISO 27001 helps to resolve such situations, as it encourages companies to write down their key processes.
If you’d like to get your business ISO 27001 certified, we’re more than willing to support you in this process. Please contact us through the button below.